SET - The Special Education Teacher
A key to unlocking success for all.
"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet." to quote Aristotle, .... and I guess none more sweet that when a child has an awakening, a dawning, grasps a concept or cracks the acquisition of a new skill through the careful, patient guidance of the Special Education Teacher (SET). This course will guide you in the support of just such a child. It will also get you fully up to speed on the changes to the SEN model introduced in 2017.
We conceived this course as an all-encompassing treatment of the myriad of judgements, accountabilities and tasks that are within the realm & duties of the Special Education Teacher. It’s a veritable one stop course for engaging learning support theory & procedures, for acquiring explicit knowledge and for developing a sound understanding of the SET role and its matching responsibilities. It is where Special Education Teachers come to load up on the strategies & techniques that help deliver for them, but even more importantly, for the children they teach.
Course highlights to include:
- What the Department of Education says you, the Special Education Teacher should be doing and the signposts of how to do it best
- The tests for assessing literacy difficulties, from the evidence-based interventions, to the guidance for precision teaching, from diagnostic tests, to the ten steps for successfully building sight words, these and more are included
- Student support plans: A necessity, a procedure, a craft
- Assessment & progression in reading, in writing, along with supplementary teaching in mathematics.
- Comprehension strategies to develop understanding of text; reading response ideas and more within this huge domain.
- A forensic and comprehensive treatment of many issues and ideas, everything you ever need to know to be an all-knowing SET
We are here to assist and support, to help you get to grips with your many roles and responsibilities, from testing, screening and diagnosing; to deploying strategies and key interventions that progress their literacy and mathematics skills, to generating intervention plans, to the principles, practices & pragmatics of team teaching and so much more…… to simply being effective in the role, to making that key difference. And that’s not to mention the videos, downloadable support documents and classroom materials, this course has it all. We cover all areas.
Remember, you are the advocating professional who is entrusted with the keys to unlocking success for all these children under your expert care. However, you are not alone. We are here to assist.
If you have a SET / SEN role in your school, then this course is definitely for you.
Come to know, and then you can better respond.
Join us on our SET course this summer and we’ll perfectly configure your SET 'Sat Nav', signpost the road the road ahead and chart its many turns!
Come and journey!
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until February 28th 2021.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to enable participants to:
- Discuss the detail of the Guidelines for primary schools: supporting pupils with special educational needs in mainstream schools document introduced in 2017
- Create and implement student support files for individual pupils
- Select and implement the most relevant and appropriate literacy intervention strategies and activities for each student requiring support
- Select and implement the most relevant and appropriate maths intervention strategies and activities for each student requiring support
- Select and implement the most relevant and appropriate intervention strategies and activities for students requiring support in areas other than literacy and numeracy
- Engage in the processes and evaluation tools necessary to carry out and implement school self-evaluation / self-improvement
|01 - Roles and responsibilities: The evolution of SEN teaching in Irish schools. The role of the Special Education Teacher and other stakeholders in supporting the child with SEN. Identifying and documenting needs. Screening, selection and assessment.|
|02 - Meeting SEN in your school: A whole school approach to the effective allocation of resources. Team teaching and pre-teaching. Understanding the basics for literacy support. Various case studies.|
|03 - Literacy intervention programmes & activities: The causes of reading problems and preparing for intervention teaching. Literacy interventions reviewed and explained. Teaching strategies in action.|
|04 - Maths intervention programmes & activities: Maths intervention programmes reviewed and explained. Supplementary teaching in maths, games and other recommended resources.|
|05 - Other interventions and ICT: Social and communication supports, gross and fine motor skills development. The best ICT resources.|
"I found this the most useful and beneficial of all the summer CPD courses I have completed. It clearly explained the new model for SEN provision and gave great advice and resources for assessment and teaching. Thank you for a fantastic and worthwhile course." - Hayley, 2020