RB - Robotify
Grow mathematical skills through coding virtual robots
Children find the world of robots fascinating. When you combine robots, computers and coding, then you have just tapped into an addictive formula for learning & mathematical skills building.
Welcome to the world of Robotify!
We are delighted to have partnered with Robotify, an exciting new and innovative Irish company, to bring you this course on a fantastic platform that allows children to code virtual robots.
Click on the video below to get a taste of what Robotify is all about.
Robotify provides a new online 3D coding environment where students can learn to code using block-based programming. Students can work independently through self-paced learning paths, or with teacher support and supervision.
Robotify is all online, it works in a web browser, be that in school or at home, with no download required.
There are hundreds of ready-made challenges for the students to engage and solve.
It is a virtual online world where they control the various robots through coding, for example:
- In Axel’s Mars Adventure, students program their friendly robot companion, Axel, and help him/her complete a range of challenges disguised as mission briefings, all on planet Mars
- In Srvo’s Drone Delivery Service, students control their own delivery drone, Srvo, in a new futuristic city, transporting and delivering the packages from A to B
The additional good news for teachers is that there are reams of great lesson plans and educator resources to support teaching children computational thinking and problem-solving through coding. The lesson plans and activities support children’s collaboration, thinking and learning away from the computer, in readiness to engage and complete various coding challenges when online.
Using the lesson plans associated with each activity, you can provide a more structured learning experience to your students, introducing and discussing key concepts before students put them into practice through coding in the Robotify environment.
In the programming challenges involving the control of virtual robots, students are encouraged to experiment and try different ways to solve the problems they are presented with.
Through immersive coding tasks and experiences, you, as the teacher, will acquire the knowledge, skills and insights to subsequently plan engaging mathematical skills-building activities for your own students and bring them onto the coding platform to apply, grow and strengthen their mathematical skills set through problem-solving real-life tasks in virtual environments.
So, come on teachers, join us this summer to acquire, practise and build up your own coding skills in preparation for bringing Robotify to your own school and into the mathematics curriculum.
REMEMBER: what rich soil, plentiful water and the summer sun are to plants, coding is to mathematical skills!
We await your arrival on planet Mars!
FREE TO ALL PARTICIPANTS: A 1-year licence to access the full Robotify platform
You will receive full access to all the Robotify features, challenges and lessons for 12 months. When your course is completed you can take your time to fully explore the wonderful virtual worlds that the Robotify robots inhabit and get a complete immersion into the powerful coding environments that build vital mathematical skills for students.
Code a virtual drone to fly in Drone Park
Code a Mars rover to perform many tasks in Axel's Mars Adventure
Enrol today and discover the world of virtual robots.
The on-line format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until February 28th 2023.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
- To propose and contextualise the essential place for a skills-building computer science coding programme within primary school
- To demonstrate how such a coding programme can engage children in computational thinking and be used to effectively develop the mathematical skills of problem-solving, reasoning, communicating and expressing, integrating and connecting, implementing, understanding and recalling.
- To plan a suite of learner experiences for children from third to Sixth Class that engage the children in exciting coding environments and tasks which provide the conditions to further develop their mathematical knowledge, skills and understandings
- To provide the conditions, tasks and environment whereby the children are required to think creatively, reason systematically, work collaboratively, discuss, do error analysis, revise thinking and problem solve while completing assigned challenges
- To design on-screen and off-screen tasks that help children to think like designers and programmers
- To complete a wide range of incrementally more difficult tasks, acquiring the knowledge and skills to effectively plan a skills-based programme in coding through Robotify for their own students
- To compile their own engaging pupil tasks and learning experiences that are mapped to mathematical curriculum expectations & skills development
- To set up pupils individually on the Robotify learner management system (LMS), monitor progression of each student along the gated pathways and offer support where needed
- To use the LMS to extend pupil on-task coding time through homework tasks, and to bring parents meaningfully into the coding world to support and champion learning
- To compile rich STEAM projects around real-world issues to run in parallel with the coding in virtual environments
01 - Using Robotify to develop computational thinking:
02 - Coding virtual robots to develop logic and reasoning:
03 - Develop pattern recognition through Robotify coding:
04 - Understanding simple algorithms through coding in Robotify:
05 - A collaborative approach to problem solving, with Robotify:
“I would like to thank everybody who has been involved in the facilitation of this course, it has, as always been superb. Very professionally run, superb resources and articles, as well as being easy to use. I do not look anywhere else when looking for a summer course because I know I will find exactly what I need with CPD College." - Rachael