GEO - All Around Me
Exploring Geography in the curriculum.
‘All Around Me’ is about having children notice, know and understand the world in which they live. To this purpose, our course is about educational approaches to cultivating a greater understanding of the world for the children, from the natural environment of the lakes, mountains & rivers, to the built environment of buildings, roads & fields. Children need to discover, know about and appreciate the world around them, their relationship to it and how they should look after it as present guardians, to pass it to future generations. As teachers, our mission is to guide them to this well of knowledge & fountain of wisdom. This course supports the mission!
In this self-paced online course participants will learn to approach geography with children as fundamentally a sense of the world around us - a local perspective radiating outwards towards a global view. They will engage with the approaches and methodologies necessary to explore with children, that human & natural world that surrounds them which in turn should foster a natural instinct in children towards environmental awareness, care and preservation.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course from July 1st until August 20th.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Build each teacher’s capacity to teach geography even better.
- Skill and empower teachers in their teaching of all Geography strands and strand units in the coming year through active engagement with the ideas, content and methodologies which comprise the core course content.
- Plan, scope, organise and carry out a unit of work examining aspects of human or natural environments.
- Detail and emphasise the need to ‘Work as Geographers’, integrating, utilising and progressing the requisite ‘Geographers’ skills set.
- Foster through active engagement, an appreciation of their local and immediate environment.
- Identify a wealth of cross-curricular opportunities for integrating geography, mathematics and literacy.
- Map digital resources to curriculum expectations and have teachers do the same within schemes of work.
- Supply materials, resources and ideas within the ‘Resources Library’.
- Review, plan and action points for improvement in their ‘Teacher Practice in Geography’ as part of SSE.
|01 - Participants will have a greater understanding of how important it is to foster a sense of the world around us for children – starting local and going global.|
|02 - Participants will acquire a variety of approaches and methodologies for exploring the world around us with children.|
|03 - Participants will be given a perspective of what constitutes our human environment.|
|04 - Participants will be given a perspective on what constitutes our natural environment – exploring, describing, explaining and recording the natural features of the earth.|
05 - Fostering environmental care and awareness – instilling in children an informed concern for our environment.
"I am thankful that I chose this course as I do not yet know what class I will be teaching in September, I found the course to be relevant to ALL classes so I have now built up a Geography resource box that i can adapt and use to whatever class I will teach in the future. Totally very very satisfied with CPD College and no doubt be back to them. Thank you." - Majella, 2020