POE - Harnessing Poetry & Story
A rich context for the development of literacy skills.
‘Nothing is so beautiful as spring, when weeds in wheels shoot long and lovely and lush…’
This self-paced online course focuses on providing opportunities to develop literacy skills through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating poetry and story. Supporting teachers by providing practical teaching methods for poetry based on whole class, group, paired and individual teaching. Developing children’s literacy skills through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating literature with supporting activities which are both diversified and challenging. Practical ideas, tips and lists for for fostering literacy through the creation and appreciation of poetry & story for the busy classroom teacher.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
Summer course access is available from July 1st to 5pm on Friday, August 23rd 2019.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Identify, explore and tease out all the wonderful opportunities there are for oral, reading and written language development in the wonderful twin contexts of poetry and story.
- Investigate a range of poems, focusing on poetry skills, the richness of language, themes, making a response, stimulating and writing poetry.
- Provide a range of methodologies and strategies for experiencing and approaching poetry based on whole class, group, paired and individual teaching.
- Specifically itemise all the opportunities for language skills development inherent in story and storytelling to include: oral, reading, writing and comprehension.
- Provide practical ideas, tips and creative activities for exploiting poetry & story for all their literacy development opportunities.
- Provide a rich library of digital material and digital inter-actives for poetry and story
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Exploring the place of poetry within our English language curriculum.|
|02 - Participants will have a fuller understanding of the wealth of opportunities to develop literacy skills through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating poetry.|
|03 - Participants will acquire basic strategies for supporting pupil experience of poetry by providing practical teaching methods for poetry based on whole class, group, paired and individual teaching.|
|04 - Participants will explore how the twin mediums of poetry & story can be deployed to develop children’s literacy skills through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating literature with supporting activities which are both diversified and challenging.|
05 - Participants will be exposed to a wealth of practical ideas, tips and lists for fostering literacy through the creation and appreciation of poetry & story for the busy classroom teacher.
"The vast array of resources is fantastic to facilitate development of poetry and story in the classroom. I find that sometimes in choosing a poem I run out of methodologies to use when teaching poetry. This course has given me a lot to work with that I am excited to use in the classroom next year." - Rebecca, 2018