TF - Third & Fourth Class Education
Delving into literacy, numeracy and other areas!
Are you currently teaching third and/or fourth class or perhaps moving into this class grouping for the next school year? Are you looking to sharpen up your approaches, searching for new ideas, hunting for creative resources, on the look out for additional techniques, then you come to the right place! We have gone the extra mile to craft an all encompassing, well resourced course for the teacher of third and/or fourth class.
This self-paced curriculum focused & classroom practical course is filled with creative ideas & top tips and packaged with superb resources to take away. We have a strong literacy and numeracy focus in this course. We will also look at practical material for the writing of poetry, the development of reading and the writing of various text types as are suitable for third and fourth class level along with ideas for exploring the class novel.
The course also includes Spreag an Gaeilge - here we itemise some great tips that should guide your effective teaching of Irish, along with some sample lessons from the excellent Séideán Sí programme and our dip into Gaeilge is completed with a suite of class appropriate games, songs and poems.
Practical approaches to concept building in mathematics will be explored, followed by lots of creative ideas for visual arts and activities for all areas of the P.E. programme.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until April 17th 2020.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Equip teachers with the insights, skills, approaches, practices and activities to better plan and deliver for teaching and learning in language and mathematics in third and fourth class.
- Equip teachers with the range of effective approaches and strategies to teach reading, comprehension, spelling, grammar and writing; to include the ‘Nine Steps to Better Writing’.
- Use a purposeful and practical approach to poetry, rhyme and story as a rich seam for literacy development in the senior classes.
- Explore best practice approaches to the teaching of mathematics and strategies for problem solving.
- Explore and create lessons that are cross curricular and assessment for learning focused.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches to help identify and close gaps in pupil understanding.
- Itemise some digital tools that can facilitate literacy and mathematics teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points for guiding work in literacy and mathematics.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Curriculum Principles: The defining principles and features of the primary school curriculum and exploration of the nature of learning and look at assessment as a central starting point to teaching and learning. Short and long term planning as fundamental to proper curriculum delivery. Our module concludes with our 'Spreag an Gaeilge' section - ideas and activities to drive effective teaching of Irish.|
|02 - Approaches to English: Engagement with practical material for the writing of poetry, the development of reading and the writing of various text types as are suitable for third and fourth class level along with ideas for exploring the class novel.|
|03 - Renewing Primary Maths: This module raises some questions and key points about the teaching and learning of mathematics in our primary schools and examines the strategies and resources that teachers could best utilise to underpin the teaching of the concepts across these class groupings.|
|04 - Poetry & Rhyme, SESE: A look at the opportunities for literacy skills development through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating rhyme and poetry. Also exploring organised thematic work units as an approach to teaching & learning in primary school, which often involves various tasks being carried out under the umbrella of a common title or "Theme" in S.E.S.E.|
|05 - The Writing Process, Visual Arts and P.E: In further exploring opportunities for literacy progression, we look in detail at the ‘Writing Process’ and it’s central role in driving good writing outcomes. The course finishes with a look at the twin subjects of Visual Arts and P.E. as two subjects that particularly appeal to children and explore practical activities that can be completed under each subject.|
"This is an excellent course, stuffed with ideas, resources, great content and up-to-date information. There is just so much of value in it. I have never done a course where I actually WANTED to spend more than twenty hours online. I feel motivated and inspired for the new year. I'll definitely be recommending it to colleagues. Thanks very much!" - Karen, 2018