FS - First & Second Class Education
Covering phonics, reading, maths and much more.
Are you currently teaching first and/or second class or perhaps moving into first and/or second class for the next school year? Are you looking to sharpen up your approaches, searching for new ideas, hunting for creative resources, on the look out for additional techniques, then you have struck gold! We have gone the extra mile to craft an all encompassing course, well resourced for the teacher of first and/or second class.
This self-paced curriculum focused & classroom practical course, filled with creative ideas & top tips and packaged with superb resources to take away, looks at many aspects of the first and second class curriculum and is an ideal course for any teacher of this class grouping.
The course also includes Spreag an Gaeilge - here we itemise some great tips that should guide your effective teaching of Irish, along with some sample lessons from the excellent Séideán Sí programme and our dip into Gaeilge is completed with a suite of class appropriate games, songs and poems.
We begin with the ‘Reading Buddies’ Programme as an approach to developing reading fluency among emergent readers, followed by a detailed look at a sample of the 36 Spelling and 36 Grammar lessons of the Jolly Phonics Spelling and Grammar Programme. We take a practical approach to developing the concepts in the First & Second Class mathematics programme, with an emphasis on online interactive resources to support concept development, followed by an engaging treatment of ideas and activities to develop literacy skills through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating rhyme and poetry.
Finally we examine aspects of S.E.S.E. from a practical hands-on perspective, balancing theory with practice, and indoor with outdoor activity.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until March 31 2021.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Equip teachers with the insights, skills, approaches, practices and activities to better teach literacy and mathematics.
- Equip teachers with the knowledge and materials to set up and implement a peer tutored – paired reading programme in order to derive the benefits that subsequently accrue for the children in reading fluency etc.
- Introduce and outline the Jolly Phonics Spelling and Grammar programme and its inherent techniques as a necessary support to writing & to the proposed new language continuum.
- Use a purposeful and practical approach to poetry, rhyme and story as a rich seam for literacy development in the junior classes.
- Outline the Numicon approach to the teaching of mathematics and explore problem solving.
- Explore and create lessons that are cross curricular and assessment for learning focused.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches to help identify and close gaps in pupil understanding.
- Itemise some digital tools that can facilitate literacy and mathematics teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points for guiding work in literacy and mathematics.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Paired reading programme: Familiarisation with the structure of a ‘Peer Tutored Paired Reading Programme’ and the benefits that derive from implementing such a programme in first or second class. Our module concludes with our 'Spreag an Gaeilge' section - ideas and activities to drive effective teaching of Irish.|
|02 - Jolly Phonics Grammar and Spelling: Introduction to the ‘Jolly Phonics’ approach to grammar and spelling in first & second class.|
|03 - Understanding how children learn Maths: How best to engage children in the activity of manipulating concrete materials, symbols, pictures and language.|
|04 - Teaching Maths: Exploring the many approaches and methodologies for the teaching of mathematics with children.|
|05 - Poetry & Rhyme plus SESE: A look at the opportunities for literacy skills development through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating rhyme and poetry. The need to engage children in objective based, purposeful activity both in the classroom and outside in the local environment, while exploring aspects of the S.E.S.E. curriculum.|
"This was the best summer course I have done. I can't believe the amount of resources I got from it, ideas and strategies. I'm so delighted I picked this course, genuinely! I actually feel more confident going back as a 1st & 2nd class teacher in September, which is a first from any course I've studied! The content of the course was excellent. The 100 teacher time savers are amazing!! I really enjoyed the course and I learned a lot. Thank you." Louise, 2020