IP - iPads in Primary Education
Exploring pedagogy, operation & application.
Using or thinking of using iPads in the classroom next year? Then get a head start with this course, everything that any classroom teacher should know, understand and be able to do when it comes to iPads in Education. Get on the inside track! This self-paced on-line course sets out to explore in detail, three broad content knowledge areas when it comes to iPads in education:
- Pedagogical Knowledge – establishing the educational case for iPads in the classroom. Exploring the potential and possibility for iPads, which many consider will bring about a paradigm shift in how learning is perceived and mediated. We will detail a number of case studies from schools worldwide, distilling their experience into advice for teachers/schools embarking on an educational journey with iPads.
- Operational Knowledge – knowing the detail of the functions of the main iPad features and how to fully use them, especially those that are most useful in the educational context.
- Application Knowledge – Apps – knowing the best recommended Apps for learning and progression, particularly in literacy and numeracy, but with an additional spotlight on those most suited for special needs.
The content segments of the course are selected to ensure that any teacher that progresses through the course will return to the classroom, possessed with the knowledge, skills and vision to embrace and drive iPad mediated learning, not only at classroom level, but schoolwide.
Teachers will also discretely & systematically engage with the School Self-Evaluation processes & instruments with a view to later formulating and implementing a self improvement plan.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course anytime until February 28th 2022.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Provide teachers with the skills, insights and ideas to make full use of iPads and Apps to effectively support teaching and learning in the classroom.
- Build pedagogical knowledge – establishing the educational case for iPads in the classroom.
- Build operational knowledge – knowing the detail of the functions of the main iPad features and how to fully use them, especially those that are most useful in the educational context.
- Build application knowledge – Apps – knowing the best recommended Apps for learning and progression, particularly in literacy and numeracy, but with an additional spotlight on those most suited for special needs.
- Itemise the successful strategies for the integration of iPads technology into classroom teaching to positively impact on classroom teaching and learning.
- Review research findings into the use of iPads in schools and their impact on student learning
- Assess the educational potential and possibility of iPad technology in the junior classroom setting.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
01 - Teachers will have a greater knowledge of iPad technology, its features & functions, the options available, but more importantly, a real appreciation of the case for embedding iPads in the teaching & learning equation, particularly for driving progression in literacy and numeracy.
|02 - Teachers explore what good learning with iPads might look like in the classroom and evaluate ‘Apptivities’, activities that are App driven, especially in light of the better outcomes demanded by the literacy & numeracy strategy.|
|03 - Teachers will assess and evaluate the educational potential & possibility of iPad technology and associated resources with the sphere of the junior classes.|
|04 - Teachers will know, evaluate, itemise and select the best recommended literacy & numeracy Apps currently being successfully used in primary education.|
|05 - Teachers will be sufficiently informed to be able to propose the reasons as to why the uptake of iPad/tablet technology will continue to be driven by schools and the vision & desire of their staff. Teachers will engage with the processes and tools of school self evaluation with a view to putting in place a self improvement plan.|
"It has been many years since I have done an on line course and I had applied for this course with a little trepidation that I could find the enthusiasm and self motivation to complete it during the warm , summer days. To delight , I have had the opposite experience! Each time I completed a module , I couldn't wait to proceed to the next one. A lovely balance of visuals, video tutorials , reading and reflection ensured the delivery of an excellent course." Maura, 2020