INF - Infant Education
Exploring play & literacy, along with numeracy & other topics.
Are you currently teaching Infants or perhaps moving into Infants for the next school year? Are you looking to sharpen up your approaches, searching for new ideas, hunting for creative resources, on the look out for additional techniques, then you have come to the right place! We have gone the extra mile to craft an all encompassing, well resourced course for the teacher of infants.
In this self-paced online course we seek to understand the nature and place of creative play in the infant classroom. We will thereafter explore the teaching and learning approaches best suited to infant education, followed by a look at the building blocks of an effective literacy environment. We will also look in detail at how children learn to read and write as an essential component to a child’s success in school. Finally we consider approaches and strategies for the teaching of the strands and strand units of the infant maths programme.
The course also includes Spreag an Gaeilge - here we itemise some great tips that should guide your effective teaching of Irish, along with some sample lessons from the excellent Séideán Sí programme and our dip into Gaeilge is completed with a suite of class appropriate games, songs and poems.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course from July 4th to August 19th 2022.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Foster an appreciation for play and socio-dramatic play in the infant curriculum.
- Review both Aistear and the proposed new continuum for English in infants to extrapolate excellent teaching points.
- Improve teacher understanding, skill and ability to effectively teach both literacy and mathematics in infants.
- Verse teachers in the recommended approaches, methodologies, best practices and activities for developing pupil reading skills using the five steps of Jolly Phonics and activities to support the struggling reader.
- Detail the elements that combine in effective mathematics teaching in each of the strands.
- Explore and create lessons that are cross curricular.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches & techniques.
- Itemise some digital tools that can facilitate literacy and mathematics teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points for guiding work in literacy and mathematics.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Exploration and appreciation of the Importance of play in early years education. We look in detail at the nature of play, the social, emotional and intellectual benefits of play. Our module concludes with our 'Spreag an Gaeilge' section - ideas and activities to drive effective teaching of Irish.|
|02 - We will cover the 5 essential skills of the Jolly Phonics approach to reading in infants, and conclude with a fresh look at general learning approaches such as learning through enquiry, learning through real life contexts, learning through exploration and more.|
|03 - This module starts with a whole series of practical tips for infant teachers. This is followed by a consideration of the main strategies for developing an effective literacy programme, nourished by a literacy promoting environment.|
|04 - Familiarisation with the stages in the process of learning to read and write, and use of this knowledge when planning literacy programs and when assessing children’s acquisition of literacy skills.|
|05 - Exploration and engagement with the strands and strand units of the infant maths programme, learning to provide balanced maths instruction in mathematical processes for the early years.|
"I have to say that this was a fantastic course and I am delighted that I chose it. I chose it as I will be teaching infants in September and I was quite worried about it. This course made me realise that I have so much experience that I can alter and it also provided me with so many ideas that I'm looking forward to implementing in the coming year. I can't recommend this course highly enough to anyone teaching infants, in fact I was raving about it to other teachers after just module 1! Fantastic course, keep up the good work." Karen, 2021