JPH - The Jolly Phonics Revolution
At the heart of teaching children to read.
Our Jolly Phonics course has transformed the teaching of reading in Infants.
Schools have made Jolly Phonics the preeminent programme of choice across Ireland for teaching children to read in Infants.
Why?, simply because it is so effective and efficient in equipping young children with the skills and techniques required to read independently and confidently in the shortest possible time-frame.
Our online Jolly Phonics course delivers key insights, along with equipping teachers with the full suite of knowledge, skills, and understandings that are essential in order to deliver the programme as conceived and designed by the authors, resulting in maximum progression in reading and writing for the children.
A trained teacher, equipped with the key materials and skill sets is just so much more effective than those with a cursory, intuitive understanding. We aim for you to be fully versed in all key aspects of the programme, returning to the classroom to reap a rich dividend in reading progress.
Jolly Phonics, embodying best synthetic phonics principles, is the MAGIC KEY to unlocking independent reading for your children.
So, whether you are currently using Jolly Phonics, intending to introduce it next year or simply needing to refresh programme understanding and skill sets, then this surely is the course for you.
- The history of phonics teaching, different teaching methods across the ages, culminating in the emergence of synthetic phonics as embodied in & exemplified by Jolly Phonics
- The five basic skills that constitute and flow through the programme
- Blending techniques – as central to working out unknown words, key to independent reading
- Decodable readers across the classes
- Strategies for dealing with the non-conforming ‘Tricky Words’
- Activities for supporting ‘struggling readers’
- Timetables and suggested schedules for the programme in infant classes
- Consideration of resources, materials & assessment
- Frequently asked questions, and teachers have many of them!
………………..and so much more.
Finally, teachers participating in the Jolly Phonics course in previous years have really enjoyed the discussions within each module forum, where questions are answered, techniques get teased out and where experience and great practice is freely shared.
Teaching Jolly Phonics next year, then join us this summer on our Jolly Phonics course. Acquire the KEY!
This self-paced online course looks at how children learn to read and how phonics underpins this process. You will be introduced to the basics of phonics teaching and successful approaches that can be utilised. Through this course, you will gain an in-depth understanding of the Jolly Phonics approach and will learn how best to apply this knowledge in the classroom. If you are new to teaching the Jolly Phonics programme then this course is ideal for you. Many experienced teachers of Jolly Phonics also find this course very useful as a refresher.
The online format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course from July 2nd to 5pm on August 24th.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and certificate of completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Explain how a systematic synthetic phonics approach as encapsulated and exemplified in Jolly Phonics best helps children learn to read and write independently.
- Describe and detail the process of early phonics teaching that builds independent reading skills i.e. the systematic five steps to teaching the reading code, blending and tricky words.
- Outline the basis of a typical lesson when teaching the reading and writing code.
- Set out the reading and writing skills programme for infants and the supporting resources and activities.
- Emphasise assessment to close identified emerging gaps / support the struggling reader.
- Itemise some digital tools that can facilitate literacy teaching and learning.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Critically assess the different methods used to teach literacy over the years|
|02 - Gain an in-depth understanding of the Jolly Phonics programme|
|03 - Understand how Jolly Phonics is taught in the classroom|
|04 - Learn how to recognise and help a struggling child|
|05 - Examine the findings of recent research studies carried out in field of the literacy|
"The course was absolutely superb and was a complete and thorough walk-through of the Jolly Phonics Programme and how to teach same. I have taught Jolly Phonics before so was unsure if I needed to do this course. However I have learned so much and feel much more confident using it this year. I now have a clear order of events and timeline of how I should approach teaching Jolly Phonics as well as a bank of notes and resources to also refer to. I would highly recommend this course to other teachers!" Susan 2017
Sue Lloyd, Frank McNamee and Chris Jolly